[TowerTalk] Phillystran vs EHS Guywire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran vs EHS Guywire
From: kurscj@oampc12.csg.mot.com (Chad Kurszewski WE9V)
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 16:20:55 -0500
>For an ALL EHS guy system with insulators broken up every 25 feet.
>TOTAL for an ALL EHS tower broken up at 25 feet = $2418.00
>

>The Phillystran guyed tower is still $1215 MORE than this tower.

>Comments? Anyone want to tell me why I should spend so much more money on
>Phillystran? I am open to arguments for and against.

If you haven't already, you should check out the article Lew, K4VX, wrote
about NOT breaking up the guys at all.  It was in QST, early 90's.
Maybe '91 or '92.

He showed that the degredation was negligible or an acceptable comprimise.

Also, I think Brian Beezley has a AO type program called GUY.  Haven't
used it, but it could be useful and save some money.  I see that's it's
included with AO and says:

>               The GUY.EXE utility makes it easy to investigate the
>       effect of guy wires on antenna systems with the AO Antenna
>       Optimizer or NEC/Wires.
>
>               GUY lets you specify guy-wire geometry in simple terms
>       like attachment height, anchor distance, insulated-section
>       length, etc.  It then generates a file containing AO wire lines
>       for all guy-wire sections.

No insulators can turn this:

>EHS Cable = 3000 feet X $.19 = $570.00
>Big grips = 96 total X $4.95 = $475.20
>502 Insulators = 48 total X $5.50 = $264.00
>TOTAL for EHS guyed 197 foot tower = $1309.20

Into $748.20     MUCH better!

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos