[TowerTalk] Big soldering irons

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Big soldering irons
From: (Madison R. Jones)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 07:44:08 -0500
K7FL wrote:
> Okay, so the subject may be stretching things a bit, but I suspect most
> subscribers have towers ... and feedlines run up the towers ... and the
> feedlines are terminated with connectors ... which need to be soldered -
> well, you get the idea.
> I need to purchase a heavy duty soldering iron with a massive tip for
> soldering PL259's. Recommendations?
> Dennis, K7FL
> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> Submissions:
> Administrative requests:
> Problems:
> Search:

At the Arlington, Texas, HamCom last weekend there was a demonstration
of Solder-It products.  I know they show up at all the larger hamfests,
but this is the first time I ever paid attention.  It's a eutectic
(there's that WORD again!!) product which melts at 375 degrees with the
aid of a non-corrosive paste in which it is contained.  The demonstrator
used a small butane torch, but stated that a match, lighter or similar
heat source would work fine.  It went on in a couple of seconds, and the
coax was not heated enough to even come close to damage to core.

Looked good to me.  I have been using a little butane torch on PL259
connectors for a couple of years with regular solder, but this looked
much better to me.  Give it a try.  Don't have the address, but I am
sure it will be coming to a hamfest near you soon.