[TowerTalk] Big soldering irons

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Big soldering irons
From: (
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:52:38 -0400
Just be careful on silver bearing solder...most of it comes with acid flux,
which is a definite no-no for electronic use.  It's really much better
suited to mechanical soldering applications as it's much stronger than
regular 60/40 solder and also melts at a substantially lower temperature.
It's great stuff for repairing eyeglass frames, pipe soldering, and art
work...things like that.

I'm not familiar with the Solder-It Torch.  If it has a metal tip for
soldering, it might be OK.  I  would not use an actual "torch" for
electronics/'s too difficult to control heat transfer with
an open flame.

73, Tyler K3MM on 06/10/97 06:49:49 AM

Please respond to

cc: (bcc: Tyler G Stewart/BENN/CEC)
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] Big soldering irons

K7FL wrote:
> I need to purchase a heavy duty soldering iron with a massive tip for
> soldering PL259's. Recommendations?
You might consider the BT-100 torch from "Solder-It Company"  in
Cleveland, OH
It has push button ignition (no matches in the wind!) and is easy to
use.  They also sell silver bearing solder paste (SP-7) in a syringe
that melts at a lower temp than regular solder and is easy to use.
Solder-It Company
PO Box 20100
Cleveland, OH  44120
(216) 791-4600
This might sound like an ad, but I have no connection with the co.  I
just saw a demo of the torch at the Arlington, TX Hamcom last weekend
and bought one for myself.  Its really neat!
Chuck, KE5FI