[TowerTalk] yagi comments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] yagi comments
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:25:59 +200
N6BT wrote:

> ...using "much thinner tubing" needs to be clarified, because it is
> generally inaccurate.
>
> The tubing wall thicknesses are set depending on...

> The second thing is that we use 6061-T6 tubing, NOT 6063. This makes the
> slightly thinner 6061 as strong as the 6063, but has less weight.

Sure.  But the diameter is what determines wind load (in the absence
of traps etc.), and it is a fact, based on the comparable antennas
from both manufacturers that I own, that the Force 12 elements are
smaller diameter.  It also follows that a smaller diameter element
needs to have thicker walls and/or fancy alloys if it has to have the
same strength, although of course its ultimate load is less due to
the decreased surface area.

In the context of what I was saying, the reduced wind load is an
advantage.  Lower wind load means lower system cost, as you don't
need large towers and rotators.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ