[TowerTalk] Gin Pole rope

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole rope
From: (
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:10:20 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-15 18:22:45 EDT, (Patrick Lynd)

> The common knots
>  in use today in the Fire Service for rescue work and personal safety are
>  all based on the figure eight knot. It's fast, simple to learn, easy to
>  untie after loads, and test have shown that figure eight knots are safer
>  under loads.
      Correcto mundo and I agree completely.

     The ONLY problem that I have with a figure 8 knot when used for
tower/antenna construction is that it is a physically bigger knot than the
bowline. Everyone who's ever done tower work has run into a situation where
your rope is locked into the pulley/ginpole and your load needs to be 1 or 2
inches higher. A bigger knot like the figure 8 just compounds this problem.

     Other than that nitpicking, it IS easy to learn and tie, is reliable and
comes apart easily. It's a keeper!

73,  Steve  K7LXC