FW: [TowerTalk] Moles are destroying fie

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TowerTalk] Moles are destroying fie
From: grimm@alison.sbc.edu (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:43:26 -0400
Roger L. Elowitz wrote:

> Hi Gang and Ken,
>
> I hope this puts the icing (yeech!) on this stuff.  Please check me for
> accuracy but I believe that Milky Spore Disease... is specific ONLY FOR
> JAPANESE BEETLE GRUBS.  It may not make any of the others do anything
> besides belch.

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture leaflet #500, "Milky Spore
disease affects some 47 different varieties of Beetle grubs in the
United States including June Beetle or May Fly grubs." "...but the
Japanese beetle grub is probably the most extensively affected."

> Now the Japanese beetle grubs will surely destroy large patches of your lawn
> if untreated early.  The moles are (I know this is going to sound crazy)
> doing you a favor by eating them. Anyway, if you run right out and milky
> spore your lawn (I believe you need a spoonful of the stuff every so many
> feet) you're not going to see results for two or three years.  Lot's of good
> mole hunting 'till then.

It is a food-chain thing.  Deprive the rodents of their food and they
migrate to your neighbor's lawn.

> I used to teach turfgrass management for homeowners.... about twenty years
> ago.  I've forgotten a hell of a lot in between... except how to mow and
> water and fertilize.  L.B. is correct.  By all means... do look up the
> number of you county Cooperative Agricultural Extension Agent and he'll /
> she'll be more than happy to help you out with loads of free information.

Ask for the aforementioned USDA leaflet #500.  As a matter of interest a
40 ounce can of milky spore, enough to treat 10,000 sq. ft. of lawn,
sells for about $75 or so.

73,
Ken K4XL
grimm@alison.sbc.edu