[TowerTalk] Rotor Installation

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor Installation
From: (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 02:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
>Ok...lets get away from the lighting your tower thing and move on somewhere
>else.  I wish I would never have written my comments.  Do what is needed for
>the Feds!
>I am putting up a TH6DXX and need some advice.
>To mount a rotor lower in the tower...what do you guys suggest?  I've done
>this before, but have cut a rung on the Rohn 25 G to do so.  Doesn't make me
>feel good.  So, how do you get a HAM IV in the tower lower than the top
>shelf without cutting a rug.  Do you "bend" on the diagonal braces?
>Your advice and suggestions welcomed.
>Lee Buller

K7LXC has said many times that a Ham-M or Ham IV will fit right in between
the diagonals without cutting or permanently bending any of them.  I doubted
it, but he is right.  I put one in my tower near ground level just to see if
I could do it.  It goes in.  You just have to position it correctly and push
a little.  I don't think there is any way I could ever explain it with
words.  Just keep trying.

The REAL problem, as I see it, is what do you mount it on once you get it
inside the tower?  A standard AS25G won't fit where there are diagonals.  I
actually have designed a prototype rotator plate that mounts on the
horizontal bars of Rohn 25 but I am not convinced the welds that hold them
to the legs will take the twisting that an HF beam of any size will put on
them.  I have never tested this idea with a real antenna/rotator mounted
with this plate.