[TowerTalk] Effects of less than 80% guying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Effects of less than 80% guying
From: w6go@netcom.com (Jay O'Brien - W6GO)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 21:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
Sean,

Take a look at 4-way guying.  As long as the angle between any two
adjacent guys does not exceed 120 degrees (3-way guying "standard"), you
can get a lot more "bite" with four guys.  With three-way guying on a
rectangular lot such as yours, you must locate the tower at a location
that is not centered on the lot.  With 4-way guying you can center the
tower.   For instance, with the tower in the center of a rectangular lot,
the angle between the guys is 60, 120, 60, and 120 degrees.  In effect,
you are doing three-way guying, but replacing one of the guy wires with
two that are spaced 120 degrees from each other.  I had a 100' Rohn 25 up
safely on a lot that was only 66' wide, using this scheme.

Good luck!    73, Jay
                  w6go@netcom.com