[TowerTalk] smart money

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] smart money
From: (Frank T. Brady)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:16:04 -0700
Now I see why the band's so dead -- everyone's up here rag chewing<g>.

The other day I heard someone comment about how every 20 feet of antenna
height seems to uncover another 'layer of dx' and I began thinking about
how, a little down the road, I may want to test that theory.

I then realized that my first tower decision may be much more important than
I thought.  I've been planning my new antenna system by parceling out the
available money more or less evenly between the tower, rotator, and antenna.
If, in a year or two, I find some extra dollars to spend on improving the
antenna system I will essentially have to scrap my old tower if it is not
the sort of design one can add to.  That is NOT a happy thought!

I sure would like to hear from some of you experienced tower users as to
your mistakes and suggestions in this area.  In other words, maybe I should
not be looking for a 66' tower I can afford, but ANY tower than I can build
on as far as load and height goes.

I'm fascinated by this - I sure hope I'm not the only one.

 Frank - W0ECS