[TowerTalk] Glen Martin Roof Towers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Glen Martin Roof Towers
From: (Lee Buller)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:46:29 -0500
At 08:29 AM 6/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all...
>I am considering putting up a Glen Martin 17.5 foot roof tower on top of
>the house and would like your comments.  The antenna will be Force 12
>(either a C3S or C4SXL).  I would like to use a 15 foot mast to get the
>total height up to about 50 feet.  At this time, I can't put up a tower
>so this seems to be the only set up that would work.
>Any thoughts?  Martin says the tower does not have to be guyed but I'm
>not sure bolting it to the roof would hold the weight.  I can't
>crossbrace the legs because I do not have access to the atic space.
>Casey K7CK

Casey....  Their stuff seems very expensive to me.  I would look around for
alternatives before paying that kind of money.  Of course, I am a penny
pincher.  Got that from my Elmer years ago that made do with a dixie-cup,
and thumb tack, and some zip cord.  I wonder if there are other companies
out there making that kind of stuff.

I had an old WindCharger tower from the 30s when I was a kid.  It was a four
legged tower made out of steel.  I mounted it to the roof with my Dad's
assistance using some pretty heavy timbers in the roof anchored back to the
walls using medium cable and wire.  Had a three element beam on it for
years...the old Thunderbird TH-3 out of Duncan, Ok....before they were
purchased by Hygain.  Worked the world when I was 17 years old.

Good idea...but I am not willing to pay those kinds of dollars.  Can you
find a weld shop to make you one?