[TowerTalk] C4SXL at Low Height

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C4SXL at Low Height
From: (
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:24:29 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-23 20:09:42 EDT, (Casey
Conway) writes:

> Hi All... This is part two of my little tower project.  I am looking at
>  putting a roof mounted tower that would get my antenna up about 50
>  feet.  I am looking at a C3S and C4SXL for the antenna.  My questions:
>  1. The optimum height for the C4SXL should be at least 70 feet.  If I
>  only put it up 40-50 feet will the performance be so minimal that I
>  would have better luck with my Butternut vertical ?

    NO. Optimum is relative. You go with what you've got. You'll have more
fun with the C-4 at 40-50 feet than you thought possible. Leave the Butternut
up for those really low angle signals plus doing A-B tests between the two
will be very revealing.
>  2.  I assume the 2 elements on the C4SXL is better than 1 element on the
>  C4 or does it make a difference at this height.
    You can never have too many elements or too much gain.

>  3.  Should I scrap this idea and put up a C3 or C3S and use the vertical
>  for the high bands ?

     I think you mean lowbands. Install the C-4. See previous comments.

     Go for it!!  You won't be disappointed.

73,    Steve  KLXC