[TowerTalk] drilling chromoly es similar pipe

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] drilling chromoly es similar pipe
From: (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:37:24 +200
My experience is that the drill speed is the single most important
issue.  I wrote off several drill bits while drilling a mast, and
my supply of four High Speed Steel bits didn't even get through the
first wall (something like 3.5 mm or 9/64").

I then borrowed a drill that turned at something like 500 RPM
(instead of the 1300 on the previous drill), and managed to complete
four holes with a single bit, identical to the ones that had been
written off.

*  Turn sloooooooooowly.
*  Lubricate generously.  If you see smoke, you're doing it wrong.
*  Don't be tempted to push.  Apply light pressure, and wait.  The
   resulting wait is considerably shorter than a trip up and down the
   tower and/or replacement of the drill bit!
Chris R. Burger