[TowerTalk] How do I separate seized antenna tubing?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How do I separate seized antenna tubing?
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 97 18:05:59 -0400
On 6/30/97 10:07 AM, Richard L. Wilkins at rwilkins@shentel.net wrote:

>I am trying to disassemble an old Mosley Pro-67A so that I can upgrade
>it to a 67B.  Several pieces of the antenna tubing will not separate on
>the 67A.  The problem seems to be an excessive amount of old dried
>Penetrox which has formed a hard glue-like substance.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for separating  the tubing?

I managed to separate sections of an un-Penetroxed A3S boom by applying
heat from a Berz-O-Matic torch. I heated the joint up thoroughly, waited
for it to cool completely, then worked it apart. Took several cycles, but
this was much more successful than trying penetrating lubricants or other
mechanical means.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901