[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day is a Joke...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day is a Joke...
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 08:28:10 -0500
Ken....

In general I agree with you.  I doubt we have more than 3 or 4 guys in our
club who have the know how to do what you are talking about.  Two guys
provided all the antennas for our 3A operation this year.  Rigs showed up,
but some did not work because they had not been maintained...and they had
been abused.  One guy used his TS440 in the car for over 5 years and then
loaded in directly to a G5RV without a proper tuner.  PLLs would
unlock...rigs just go dead.  What a farce!  And you couldn't tell him any
different because he was an "Extra."  Oh he passed the exams and learned the
code at 20, but he can't copy cw at 10 wpm anymore.  The expertise is aging
and the new guys only have a "Shack on the Crack."  (A handy-talkie on the
belt, just above their ass)

People don't even know how to wire a 110 volt plug!  I had to show one
operator how to use a tuner and how to tune for minimum SWR...and he was an
extra!

Ok...  I'll get off the soap box...but you are more right than wrong.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net