[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] Magnetic Declination

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] Magnetic Declination
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 23:24:17 -0400
Hi Ben and ALL,

I promise... I swear... NO MORE TRUE NORTH FROM ME!  However.... Frank
might want to check the difference between "sun" time and "star" time.
Unfortunately, with the introduction of time zones, Dr. Helfenschmaltz of
the Zurich Solar Observatory and Alpine Suntanning Salon... reminds us that
the sun is not overhead at noon as it should be.  If it were, then everyone
in a given time zone would have the sun directly overhead... which of
course is impossible.

While this is all quite fascinating... it's a lot easier to call the local
airport and ask for the magnetic declination.... Darn... I promised I
wouldn't get into this again... but I almost can't help myself.... Then
again, I may be incorrigible!

For more information on finding true north...please check the TowerTalk
Archives.

73,

Roger, K2JAS

PS.... if you have a surveyer's survey of your property (from the time you
bought your home)... it's real easy to check that, since it must show your
property lines as well as true north.  Failing that... a good street map
will just about do the same thing showing the alignment of the street in
front of your property with true north.  But I promised I wouldn't get into
that!