[TowerTalk] wire antennas (RF resistance)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wire antennas (RF resistance)
From: psoper@donedeal.encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 15:07:33 -0400
(LB's explanation omitted)
        Notice that I didn't mention how much efficiency we'd lose with #18
wire vs #12 wire. This is because I couldn't figure it out! Thanks for the
reminder about varying currents in the elements as this of course makes it all
click together. Sure, I've seen the very small difference in modeled gain with
wire size and this made the RF resistance numbers very confusing. A friend
computed 600 watts of dissipation in his wires and we knew that wasn't
happening! I decided to just throw out the numbers and hope for enlightenment.
And I think it's still quite useful to have a feel for RF resistance.
        I still refuse to use the soft drawn, enamel coated #18 solid copper
wire for my quad. :-)

Cheers,
Pete
KS4XG