[TowerTalk] Grounding your tower and standing off your coax?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding your tower and standing off your coax?
From: (
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-08 01:41:49 EDT, (Wagner)

> I was only able to get the 5/8" X 8ft grnd rod about 5ft
>  > into
>  > the ground before hitting rock. I proceeded to take a hacksaw and cut
>  > it
>  > off at ground level and drive the remaining 3ft into the ground a few
>  > feet off to another corner of my 1 sq. yd . of concrete. I am using #6
>  >
>  > copper stranded wire to connect the tower legs to the grnd rods. My
>  > question is this, is this satisfactory grounding for a tower in my
>  > situation?

      It's a start. You can obtain better ground rod to earth interface by
placing the ground rods horizontally. As long as it's below the frost line
and around 2-3 feet down, it has almost the same efficiency as a vertical

    Since whole books have been written on the topic, you're not going to get
the whole story in one post. I might recommend that you get a copy of my
reprint "Grounding For Amateurs". It's not only a chapter from my
as-yet-unpublished tower book but also the contains the info that I've used
for grounding talks that I have given. Send an SASE with 2 stamps to TOWER
TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072, for a free copy.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

      TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs