[TowerTalk] Thanks--Freeing Seized Aluminum Tubing

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thanks--Freeing Seized Aluminum Tubing
From: (Richard L. Wilkins)
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 11:35:11 -0400
Thanks to all who responded to my question about freeing seized aluminum
antenna tubing.  I was able to separate the tubing on an old Pro-67A
without damaging it.

Both WD-40 and PB Blaster worked well as lubricants. The method that
worked best was to spray lubricant into the joints between the tubing
several times and let them soak.  I then clamped one end of the outer
tubing in a vise and heated the overlapping area with a propane torch.
When the tubing got hot I quickly pulled and twisted on the inner tubing
with padded pliers .
Some pieces required going through this procedure a couple of times.
I padded the tubing with a thin rubber pad in the vise to prevent
surface damage.

PB Blaster and medium steel wool does a good job removing old Penatrox
and oxidation.