[TowerTalk] Lightning

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning
From: (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:23:45 +0000
On  9 Jul 97, Craig Clark <> wrote:

>         So, to keep everything at ground, I have now grounded all incoming
> coax connectors; shield to coqax center pin to ground wire.
>         While this will not prevent damage from a direct strike, will the
> additional grounding (of two DC-ground antennas) help reduce the risk of any
> additional problems?

I recall back in my W2SZ days that all coax lines came in thru a
bulkhead panel, which then had to be jumpered to one of many SO-239s
to feed into one of the rooms in the shack. When not in use, they
were jumpered to a grounded connector in the panel.

The SZ towers at that time ranged from 40-120 feet on top of a BIG
hill. I'm sure they took hits from time to time, but I don't recall
ever any lightning damage during my 4 years there.

Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet:
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club