[TowerTalk] Strategy for Lightning Protection

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strategy for Lightning Protection
From: (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:42:35 -0500
>QUESTION: should I use shielded control cables (my gut says "yes", what do
>you folks think?)
Dick, I would use underground-rated Romax for the control cables and
would not bother shielding them.  12/12/12 Romax will afford a relatively
inexpensive means of getting three wires from point A to point B and can
be purchased in lengths of 250 feet.  I used 4 runs (1000 feet) of this
for my control cables buried 18" deep in the ground.  I felt that, since
it was designed to be buried in ground that it did not warrant by using
the space in the 250 foot run 3" PVC, thereby releasing it for the more
important task of holding the coax. I taped them together every 6 feet
or so so that it made a compact bundle and was easily handled.

Good luck!

Rod, W5HVV