[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Guys
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 13:23:08 EDT

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date:    97-07-10 08:59:20 EDT
>From:    SavageBR
>To:      K7LXC
>
>Hi Steve,
>I have a quick question, if a tower is guyed at 4 points (90 degrees)
>rather
>than 3 points ( 120 degrees) will I gain any effective guy ratio or
>conversly
>can the 4 points by moved in any and keep the same effective 3 point
>guy
>ratio? I am still looking at properity and one place we saw yesterday
>would
>require a 4 point guy system due to the layout.
>Many thinks, Bruce

One data point for four-way guying is Rohn's recommended
layout for their #45 foldover tower. The 64' model
has two sets of four guys, anchored 25' from the tower
base. The guys fit into a square piece of land
35' x 35'. The tower is rated for 28.4 sq ft of antennas
at 70 mph, or 17.2 sq ft at 87 mph.

Conventional 3 way guying would require a piece of land 77'
x 88', and the tower would be rated for 24.3 sq ft at 70
mph. It could handle 23.6 sq ft at 90 mph with 1/4" EHS
top guys.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com