[TowerTalk] 25G anticlimb panels and guy wire bash protection (summary)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 25G anticlimb panels and guy wire bash protection (summary)
From: psoper@donedeal.encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:54:25 -0400
Thanks to all for suggestions about a better anti-climb design. One elegant
idea that came behind the scenes from KK1L uses 2x4s stuck on top of the
panels to prevent them being lifted. The simple "surround" idea of four sheets
wrapping completely around the tower that K7LXC described has got to be
simplest for folks who don't have winches and short ladders. Some of you
called for metal or masonite for durability and to avoid kids putting nails in
panels made of wood. A "high voltage" warning sign was also suggested.
Photographing the panels in place to show the lawyers in the event of an
accident was also suggested.

I'm going to stick with plywood, hopefully too thin to support "nail steps",
with the slotted blocks to slide over the cross bars. Hose clamps through the
tops of two panels will make them semi-permanent while the third will use a
padlock at the bottom for my convenience. Of course the first bright kid who
comes along with 30 feet of rope can be up the tower in a half minute, but
that's the kid who can probably make it up and back intact :-)

Nothing to add about the guy line question. I'll probably put cat's eye stickers
on the conduit over the lines at a couple levels and call it done.

Regards,
Pete
KS4XG