[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Carab... Karab... Carrib...

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Carab... Karab... Carrib...
From: (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 18:45:57 +0100
Just for interest, here's what the German dictionary says...

A "karabiner" was originally the German word for a snap-hook, as used
for attaching a sling to a carbine. 

British climbers usually call them "krabs" - well, they nip your
fingers, don't they?

Regarding Steve's comment about a British person failing to understand
"Tie the rope off!", that term is used exactly the same over here too.
It wasn't American English that she didn't understand - it was ropework. 

73 from Ian G3SEK          Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
                          'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [TowerTalk] Carab... Karab... Carrib..., Ian White, G3SEK <=