[TowerTalk] computer rfi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] computer rfi
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 00:46:07 -0400
Hi Scott,

Glad to hear of your success with the rfi elimination project.  You
probably could have gotten a better video monitor cable as we tend to think
all these cables are alike and they really aren't.  Some are vastly better
than others.  I have snap-on ferrite beads on every cable coming in or out
of the computer and the monitor. On some cables I have two or even three
ferrites. I can operate 2-kw and absolutely nothing happens to my monitor
screen now. My monitor is sitting right up against my Kenwood TS-440  and
Yaesu 901 DM exciters and the linear is only 18" away.

As for the moles.... I ran over one today with my riding lawn mower.
(Darn!)  He was probably dead anyway before I squished him.

And as for the birds.... I thought the guys were kidding when they
mentioned using plastic owls to scare away the birds. Then the other day I
flew into a small airport here in NJ and there on each wing of a small
private plane that was tied down.... were two- foot high plastic owls.

It was explained to me that birds love to nest in orifices like the engine
air intakes and tail-fuselage openings. The owls give them second
thoughts....for their little birdbrains. Planes are really for the
birds.....OUCH! as Steve would say!

Roger, K2JAS

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

At 02:24 AM 7/15/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi esteeemed towertalkians, This is a follow-up to a previous posting
>today..... Well, I got itchy tonite after picking up some emi/rfi paint
>($19.00 per can), I took my monitor apart-it was already coated with some
>emi paint-even measured the resistance-right up to spec-7 ohms per inch, I
>recoated it completely anyways, as the can I got said multiple coats were
>more effective.
>
>For anyone that is contemplating doing this, make sure you take it OUTSIDE
>before you paint it!  This stuff has Methyl Ethyl Ketone in it-serious
>stuff-also good buzz for those of you that like to sniff the stuff-IT'S
STRONG !