[TowerTalk] UPDATE: light standards as towers?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] UPDATE: light standards as towers?
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:05:40 -0400 (EDT)
At 05:08 PM 7/21/97 -0700, Frank T. Brady wrote:
>Dick wrote:
>>I have no doubt the poles can hold the stress.  However, since just today I
>>poured 15 yards of concrete into a very large hole in my backyard, I am
>>very sensitive to the question of tower bases.  :)  How big would one have
>>to be to support one of those poles?
>>
>>73, Dick
>
>Dick,
> I'm just guessing - 4x4 by 6 to 8 feet deep ought to hold it I would think.
>
> I'll have the exact info pretty soon

Seriously doubt you'll get away that small for a 80' monopole. Would guess
something more in the order of 10x10 and 8 feet deep for that type of
application, probably 15 or more yards of concrete. My PE is looking at the
base size for my new tower, looks like 8.5x8.5 and 7' deep for 56' self
supporter according to wind loads and uplift for Mass. building codes.
73,
Scott
KA1CLX