[TowerTalk] Insurance claims

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insurance claims
From: sbookout@mnsinc.com (Steve Bookout)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:34:51 -0400
FWIW, A couple of years ago I got a lightning induced surge into the
shack caused by a near hit on a big tree.  Although I thought I was
disconnected, I still had the control line to my long beverages hooked
up.  Well, it came in on the cable and jumped around the shack for a
while and messed up a few things.  Could have been much worse.

I had and still have State Farm and the claim was covered, no problem.

Was I lucky and the claim agent dumb, or both?

As an aside to this story, I have some 30 amp Corcomm AC line filters in
my dedicated circuits going into the shack.  Also, using some MOV's in
these lines, as well.
My original intent was to help keep the RF off the AC lines in the house
to help minimize any problems.
Nothing in the rest of the house showed the least bit of damage from the
lightning surge.
Maybe I did something right for a change.

73 de Steve, NJ4F