[TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams
From: (Barry Kutner)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 18:24:53 +0000
On 24 Jul 97, John/K4WJ <> wrote:

> Barry,
> Just because the surges travel on the power companies facilities doesn't
> mean that the power company "induced" them. Where did you come up with that
> idea?
I believe most surges that can damage electronics (other than
lightning) come from the power company. I filed a claim a few years
ago against PECO for excess voltage, and won. Actually, it was their
"voltage investigator" who suggested I file the claim.  My line
voltage was 128. Within a month, I lost a toaster-oven, many light
bulbs, and the flyback xfmr in a 1 year old Sony TV.

In my office, the UPS on the computer beeps several times a day from
surges and micro-outages. The PECO man blamed "the idots in
the main office downtown who don't know what they're doing." Perhaps
he's wrong.

Any power engineers out there that can

> What is the problem with "wire insurance"? The telephone wires inside your
> house belong to you, not the telephone company. They are offering you a
> maintenance agreement to repair the wires for a monthly fee. What is wrong
> with that? If you don't like it, don't sign up for it.
What's wrong with it? It's a large company preying on the ignorance
of the homeowner. I wasn't aware that indoor copper wire requires
regular replacement or maintenance to avoid problems :.)

Presuming you are married, may I offer you gold wedding band
insurance? I will cover any maintenance necessary should your gold
wedding band malfunction (theft or loss not included, of course)
73 Barry

Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet:
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: