[TowerTalk] Shortened 40/80M Dipole

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shortened 40/80M Dipole
From: ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM (ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 12:36:52 CDT
Last week I asked the group if I could add a couple of "tails" to
the 80M portion of the dipole to cover the portions of the band
I usually use.  Most all respondents replied "go for it".  This
past weekend, I first set the original tail for 3.550.  The swr
was 1.6.  I then added a shorter tail and just left it drooping
from the coil.  When I rechecked the swr I found that I had two
swr dips.  One was at 4.43 and the other was at 2.88.  Neither
swr was below 2.3.  Is this what I should have expected to occur?
If so, which tail should I adjust first in order to limit the
amount of tuning/pruning tries?

Wayne  AJ5M