[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3
From: rthorne@arn.net (Richard M. Thorne)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:18:33 -0500
Fatchett, Mike wrote:

> Well the weekend weather patterns finally allowed me to get the C3
> installed on the tower at 80 feet.  I have a Cushcraft 40-2cd mounted
> above it at 90 feet.
>
> Initial response:  So far it is performing very well.  The SWR curves
> are great on 10m and 20M.  The 15m curve is not great.  I think I am
> having some interaction problems with the 40.  Not sure how to cure it.
>
> 20m-the entire band is less than 2:1
> 15m-best swr is 1.6:1 at 21.125.  From 21.4 and up it is over 2:1 :(
> 10m-under 2:1 from 28.0 to almost 29.0
>
> Compared to a TH7 at 60ft the C3 has been consistently been
> out-performing  the TH7 both and receive and transmit.  The C3 appears
> to be quieter as well.  That could be due to the relative locations of
> the 2 antennas.  The TH7 is much closer to the house.
>
> For the size and weight I don't think you can beat this antenna.  It was
> a piece of cake to put together and being that it only weighs 33 lbs.
> one man can easily mount it on the tower.  The mounting scheme used is
> great.
>
> I plan to install another C3 or C4 at the 50 foot level soon and stack
> them.  The patterns look real good.  The older I get the more inclined I
> am to the Keep it simple principle!  This antenna fits that description
> AND is a great performer.
>
> Mike
> W0MU
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Mike:

I have a C3 at 55' and it works very well also.  I have no problem
working into Europe from here.

I have a C4XL on order and (after some tower work) will put it at
75' and my current C3 at 45'.

AA4NU was good enough to run the plots for me.  10 and 15 look great
20 is so-so.  I'm hoping not to have 40/15 interaction problems
since all the elements are on the same boom.

Let me known when you get your stack done so we can get on the air
and compare notes.

Richard Thorne - WB5M
Amarillo, TX