[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Tower Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Tower Questions
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
>I've only worked on Rohn 25 in the past.  Today I had my first
>experience with Rohn 45, and I have some questions.
>
>Boy, it was a lot harder dealing with this stuff than 25.  The tower
>legs did not line up, and many of the sections appear to have one (or
>more) legs that look slightly out of line (optical illusion?).
>
>The sections are NEW, so I would think that this is normal.  If it is,
>what are the techniques for getting the sections up?
>
>Did your legs line up when putting up your new rohn 45?  Were we sold
>damaged goods?
>
>We did get the second section on the first, but one leg was off (to the
>outside) by three quarters of an inch or so.  I used a turnbuckle to
>pull it in, and presto, it's up.  I would think that this makes it
>harder to get the sections apart to come down though.
>
>Any hints, kinks, tips, etc. would be helpfull, and thanks in advance.
>
>73 de Bruce, K1BG
>bblain@atiradio.com

As a Rohn dealer, I see quite a bit of new 45.  Some of it arrives slightly
bent.  I can usually fix it pretty easy with a solid steel crow bar that is
a nice fit into a leg.

So one suggestion is to check the legs for proper spacing on the ground and
use a solid crow bar to fix them if you have to.

A second suggestion is to use a comealong on the tower wrapped around the
section such that you can ease the leg that is out too far gently in so it
fits where it should.  Once started, you can loosen the comealong.

A third suggestion is to use a lightweight scissors jack to jack sections
apart when taking the tower down.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com