[TowerTalk] Coax breakin? (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax breakin? (fwd)
From: k9fd@htc.net (Merv Schweigert)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:16:34 -0500
>> WWWhhhhhooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaa boy ! We need sunspots and quick ! :)
>> Wonder how many people didn't put two and two together and got reeled in by
>> this one. Better yet, how many over the course of the next 20 years will
>> read an old issue and not realize it's a joke??
>>

>I've written the ARRL a number of times about this issue. It's high
>time they realized the technical knowledge level of the ham population
>has
>has greatly deteriated over what it used to be. ( and no offense is
>meant
>to anyone )
>
>It would be a poor excuse to offer some ham ( especially a fairly new
>one )
>who has gone through this "it's April Fool".
>
>The ARRL, and others, should realize exactly the point made by Scott,
>and
>stop this nonsense.

        You are exactly correct in assuming the technical knowledge of
hams has sunk to a all time low.  But the problem is not fixed by trying
to dumb down the articles to match the dummies, how about bringing the
education up to the level it was.  If you cannot read, you sure cannot
understand the content.  Internet has provided  a window
into the intelligence of many out there, too many have the ability to
move thier fingers before moving the gray matter in the head.  Should
we increase the difficulty of the amateur test to bring back the
technically inclined, or just go for numbers that have no understanding
of how or why it works?
        I vote for the April Fools articles of the past, some were really
great.  One thing, the title says it all "april fools", another is,
someone doesnt have to tell me which month it is.
        No flames intended and will accept none in return, I wear asbestos
underwear, so wont live long anyway.  73 Merv K9FD