[TowerTalk] Re: Ox-Gard

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ox-Gard
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:34:33 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-05 22:10:33 EDT, w5rz@cswnet.com writes:

>  I was in
>  the store today and they don't have Noalox (which also seemed OK by
>  concensus) but they had Ox-Gard.
>
>  It says its an "aluminum wire anti-oxidant".     "Ox-Gard penetrates
>  aluminum oxide to maintain inter-strand and inter-conductive paths.
 Guards
>  against oxidation, improves conductivity, and produces a cooler
connection.
>   An excellent compound for aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to copper wire
>  connections, and aluminum conduit joints."
>
>  Sounds ideal!  I put some on a piece of Saran Wrap and looked at it.  It
>  has the same color and consistency as Penetrox, but without the
graininess.
>   I assume it has only lubricant, no metal flakes.  Some of the
>  "authorities" in the previous discussion said the metal flakes were the
>  whole deal, and some "authorities" said it was the lubrication, that old
>  motor oil would do as well!   Anyway, I think I'll try it unless advised
>  otherwise.

    Most anti-oxidant products accomplish the same job with different
ingredients. They consist of two parts: the vehicle material and metal
flakes. The metal flakes penetrate the metal oxide layer and provide the
actual electrical connection. The purpose of the vehicle material is just to
hold the particles in suspension and give them a method for application.

    The vehicle is typically non-conductive. If you stick ohmmeter probes in
a glob of anti-oxidant, there won't be any continuity. That's normal. It's
the particles under compression that'll provide the continuity. The vehicle
also keeps oxygen out of the bond and prevents oxidation.

    There are lots of good anti-oxidants out there, Penetrox, NoAlOx, OxGard,
Butter-Its-Not, etc. so it really doesn't make a lot of difference which one
you use. Just make sure it's suitable for the metal that you're working with.

    TOWER TECH has NoAlOx and Penetrox for $8.25 for a 4 oz. bottle (several
years supply).

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs