[TowerTalk] "Leaky" Coax, What is it?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Leaky" Coax, What is it?
From: aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us (ROBERT WANDERER)
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 22:43:28 -0700
Several ways to do it, but Times Fiber (which used to be allied
with Times Microwave [the former did 75-Ohm CATV stuff and
the latter 50-Ohm cables]) uses a device (triaxial, I believe) which
actually measures the transfer impedance and then there's a formula
which converts that into dB of shielding. Belden has a triaxial device
called a SEED (Shielding Effectiveness Evaluation Device) and
the TEM, G-TEM and/or Crawford Cell (all variations on a
similar concept) could be used too.

This is going on memory, so I apologize for any errors. It's been too many
years since I used these devices (and especially the SEED) to make tests.

Of course, as has been pointed out, Andrews and others make coaxial
cables (e.g. Radiax{TM}) designed to "leak." It is used in the Holland and
Lincoln Tunnels (and I think the Brooklyn Battery and Queens Midtown
tunnels too) to allow motorists tp listen to their AM/FM radios (especially
for traffic reports).
73,
Bob AA0CY
aa0cy@contesting.com