[TowerTalk] Soldering PL259

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Soldering PL259
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 23:47:44 GMT
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:33:33 -0400, Greville Balzarini
<sandy.balzarini@iis.varian.com> wrote:

>Thanks to all for the information about soldering PL259 connectors.
>I was not the person asking for this info but it is interesting.
>
>I did not see anyone mention pre-tinning the PL259 ground braid connection
>slot.
>I do this to reduce the amount of heat applied to the coax while waiting for
>the connector to heat enough to accept the solder.
>This method works well on the nickel plated connectors where solder,
>sometimes, seems not to stick properly.
>
>Any comments on this method...
>
>Thanks again,
>73, sandy, n1mau
Personally, I would not pre-tin because of the possibility of getting
a solder blob inside the connector.  I'd just be sure the connector
was clean and bright where I was going to put the solder.  A little
scraping with an X-acto knife (carefully removing the scrapings)
should do the trick.  A drop of liquid flux would be good too.

73, Bill W7TI