[TowerTalk] Coil stock (e.g., Air-Dux, etc.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coil stock (e.g., Air-Dux, etc.
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 12:01:37 GMT
On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 06:08:01 -0400 (EDT), "L. B. Cebik"
<cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu> wrote:

>The interst in link-coupled tuners has led one individual (at least) to
>try to roll his own.  He had a question I could not answer:  who, these
>days, carries Air Dux or similar air wound coil stock?  I think the
>intended version calls for 2" dia at 8 tpi, but a supplier of several
>kinds and types would be useful for the home brewer.
>
>If the answer is broadcast, please cc me individually as well.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>-73-
>
>LB, W4RNL
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
This isn't exactly what you asked, but you might consider making your
own coils for this application.  Air Dux is fine for some
applications, but high circulating currents in a resonant circuit like
an antenna tuner can be pretty hard on them.  Last month's QST had an
article on rolling your own (pun intended), and one advantage is you
can use larger diameter wire than anything available from Air Dux.
I've used the solid copper wire intended for power line grounds with
great success.  It's available in 0.200" diameter and will handle full
legal power with ease, where the Air Dux is quite likely to melt the
polystyrene at that level.

The secret to getting a nice looking coil is to stretch the wire just
before winding in order to remove those annoying little bends and
kinks.  Unwind the whole length and tie one end down to something
secure.  Holding the other end, give it a slow but steady pull until
you feel it stretch just a bit.  Almost magically, any kinks or bends
will be gone and you'll have a nice straight piece of wire.  Works
like a charm.

73, Bill W7TI