[TowerTalk] "anodized" aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "anodized" aluminum
From: force12@interserv.com (force12@interserv.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 08:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
Good morning.

Anodizing aluminum results in a non-conductive surface. Consequently, if one
desires an anodized antenna, the mating surfaces need to be taped with the
special plating tape beforehand. This will protect the outer surface;
however, the inner surface of an overlapping joint will need to be cleaned
after plating. A "flapper" type of sander can do the job. Filing a land area
for screw heads, cleaning holes, all needs to be done. Anodizing can be done
in clear, as well as several colors, such as blue, red, green. The colors
vary from solution to solution.

We anodize some of our antennas and do all of the above in preparation and
after plating. We occasionally will hard anodize an antenna. This plating is
so tough that we actually wear out files clearing land areas for screws,
bolts, etc. Hard anodize is an expensive plating process. It comes out a
medium gray-green color.

If one wants to paint an antenna, it can be alodined first. This plating is
a primer for many painting situations and is gold in color. The 80 mtr
rotary and its mast that we took to XZ1N last November was done this way
because of the color! Alodine is a conductor, so nothing special needs to be
done. It is also inexpensive.

Have a good day and 73,
                        Tom, N6BT
                        Force 12 Antennas and Systems