[TowerTalk] F12 & being there

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] F12 & being there
From: js@netusa.net (Jeff Singer)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:14:56 -0400
Herb, et al -

I think that all this worrying from hams about the owner of an antenna
manufacturing firm being somewhat less than delighted at your request to
"come down and visit" is just plain silly.

These guys - and they are BUSY guys with BIG businesses to run - do not
have store fronts, never intended to, and don't charge their customers
for that expense. If they did, and maintained a "front desk," we would
all have to pay more for the product.

I think, from discussions with F12 antenna owners, and other postings
from various public forums, that Tom does a great job of helping
customers and potential customers alike... certainly as much as can be
expected from one man. And I am NOT an F12 owner. Most of the other
companies appear to do a similar job (there is perhaps one exception in
my book, but he is NOT typical, and I will not mention his name). I
mean, companies like F12 and KLM - and others too - generally have ONE
person who can answer all of your questions, and that knowledgeable sole
is not sitting around hoping you will call to set up a visit, mind you.

Give these guys a break! If you want to "go see," wait for Dayton, or
ask your favorite manufacturer if he'll be at another show. That's what
those big shows are for. Read the reviews in the mags, and pay close
attention to the information given you in this and other newsgroups. In
the meantime, if you have questions, simply use the telephone and ask
away. Be patient, though. Although owners want your business, they will
not stop living to get it.

In other words, get your egos in order. And remember to use good
judgement when making any purchase, not just amateur radio equipment. I
mean, when is the last time you needed to visit Whirlpool's factory
because you needed a new dishwasher? Your purchase of "several thousand
dollars" may seem like a really big deal to you, but it is realistically
NOT a reason to expect a manufacturer to alter his schedule, especially
when he could be out there negotiating a deal for several hundred
thousand dollars, or purchasing large quantities of metal stock at the
best price, for you.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I've seen this before,
and I thought I would pay my two cents.

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@netusa.net