[TowerTalk] 3 High Stack Switching

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 3 High Stack Switching
From: k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 03:40:33 +0100
Jay Terleski wrote:

> Interesting,  seems like here in Texas the propagation changes more
> dramatically
> during the day to favor different combinations of beams.  I frequently find
> that
> the lower or middle beam combinations work better during the late morning
> runs to
> EU......but  maybe I should offer the StackMatch as a non-switch item.   It
> would
> take alot of cost out of it, and make a super easy to do set up?
>
> Looking for ideas here guys and gals,  give me some market research.  I thank
> Steve for the great reflector.
>
> 1.  Do you want non- switchable  StackMatch for 2 and 3 high stacks

Negative.  I dont agree with K4ISV, although I'm certain you could find
others that would.  While I most often find that all three work the best
(or at least the top two), there are times that other combos work
better.  More importantly, for those with "directional diversity", it's
extremely important to be able to instantly redirect your power.  I've
found the relay's quite durable and I would never give up the
flexibility for all different scenarios.  In addition, if something
happens to one of the antennas, you've instantly still got 1 or 2 good
ones.  Without relays, you'll be climbing the tower during the contest!
Mine's been in service for over 2 years without any kind of failure.

> 2.  How much power should it take?

Legal limit hot switching would be nice, but since I've got Alpha 87's I
never have to worry about blowing something up, since the amp instantly
kick's out when you do something stupid.

> 3.  Should it be offered in N and So239 connectors?

Definitely N connectors.

> 4.  Would you like a Stackmatch with 2 feedlines, so a single op 2 radio
> person
> could flip in a single main stack beam to the second radio?

A nice option for those with "just" a single tribander stack!  I was
going to add this option externally, but never got around to it.

> 5.  Other

I've never tried it, but how about a BOP optional configuration for
monoband operation?  I guess the way to do this would be add a phase
delay line for port 2.

> Thank you all again.
> Jay, WX0B

73, Ty K3MM