[TowerTalk] Maxcom Matcher info needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Maxcom Matcher info needed
From: crb@nanoteq.com (Chris R. Burger)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 15:40:25 +200
K5ED wrote:

> I picked up a Maxcom High Speed Antenna Matcher (per label)...
> Anybody know anything about this unit?
There were some anonymous mentions of this device on this Reflector
recently.

It's a dummy load.  You connect wires to it, and those wires end up
in parallel with the loading resistor.  You end up with a reasonable
match, but poor efficiency.

There was an expose' about these units in QST in the early eighties.
There were even some X-ray photographs, showing that scrap PC boards
had been moulded into the casing to make the unit appear a lot more
complex than it really is.

Advertising at the time claimed that they'd sold large quantities to
the US Government (including the Navy, as I remember).

If you have a solid state radio and you ragchew on 40 during the day,
this is your unit.  If you want to work DX, get a real antenna.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ