[TowerTalk] Replacing Cable Clamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Replacing Cable Clamps
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

> Well, my tower guy cable clamps are sufficiently rusted to warrant
>  changing them out--I may be a couple of years too late, actually, but....
>
>  What's the recommended procedure?
>
>  Should I simply remove one and put a new one in it's place, one at a
>  time?
>
>  Or should I place offset the new ones, then take the old ones off?
>
>  If I need to take up some slack in a guy, what should I do about the
>  crimps in the guy, since they would now by offset by a few inches or
>  more?
>
>  Or should I just ignore them and place the clamps at appropriate
>  distances from the loop?

Hi, Dale --

    First question is "what's the condition of the guy wire"? Does it need to
be replaced as well? That's another question so I'll just address your clamp
questions.

    For a quick and dirty job, just add a new clamp or two to each
termination.

    To really refurbish the termination, what you need is a Klein guy grip
and comealong to get started. Attach the grip to the guywire and ratchet up
the comealong until it takes the tension of the guywire. Now you can detach
the guy termination and make any changes you want without losing your
guywire.

     Just about everyone uses Preform guy grips these days and you may want
to consider converting to them also. Take your hand grinder and cut the guy
wire back enough to accomodate them and install. Now you NEVER have to worry
about clamps again! And they're much easier to install.

    If your turnbuckles are all the way in, this excercise will also let you
re-do the whole termination so that you have an appropriate amount of
adjustment in the turnbuckles.

    Be sure to re-tension the guys (400# for 3/16 EHS and 670# for 1/4 inch
EHS) with a Loos or similar device and you'll be in Fat City. Did I mention
that TOWER TECH has the Loos tensioner for $39.00?

73 and GL,  Steve   K7LXC

   TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs