[TowerTalk] Re: coax splices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: coax splices
From: TexasRF@aol.com (TexasRF@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
N3HRT mentions using N connectors for splicing cables and I certainly agree
with him that these connectors are far superior to the PL259s for that
application, especially at VHF. I have use N connectors exclusively in my 2m
and 70 cm eme systems and can tell you that even with several cascaded N
connectors through power dividers and phasing lines that they are almost
lossless, approximately the same as an equivalent length of RG213.

However, I must emphatically disagree with the idea that they are water proof
as they certainly are not! I hate to think about the number of hours I have
spent removing water from N connectors in these systems even though they were
sealed using the best methods commonly available. I have made progress in
better sealing them but there is still an occasional water problem. I hate to
think how bad it would be without any sealing at all!

The impedance of PL259's is actually closer to 35 ohms and will make a 30 db
return loss degrade to 20 db at 144 Mhz, even worse at 432 Mhz. I have not
measured the degradation at 28 Mhz but it certainly would be less than at 144
Mhz.

Still looking for that "perfect" sealing method! Tnx/73 de Gerald, K5GW