[TowerTalk] Stacking Supplement

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking Supplement
From: (
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:18:07 -0400
What a ridiculous waste of aluminum!

I'm quite sure that the actual gain of that antenna is far less than's not high enough off the ground to take advantage of the
boom length.  The ground losses, I'm sure, are quite high, and you'll never
get a sharp, well defined pattern at that height, no matter what the boom
length.  ... good way to get on the cover of a magazine tho!

73, Ty K3MM on 08/30/97 11:08:21 AM

cc: (bcc: Tyler G Stewart/BENN/CEC)
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Supplement

At 3:20 AM -0700 8/30/97, L. B. Cebik wrote:
>I do not really expect anyone to
>have a stack of 7 element Yagis on 120' booms on 20 to achieve the
>theoretical 21+ dBi gain over ground, but they do show where the
>progression leads--and they do generate all kinds of pleasant dreams.
Pat Mulreany, WX7M, here in western Nevada, took a different approach.  He
assembled a 16-element 20-meter yagi on a 280-foot boom from which he
calculates 19 dB forward gain (I don't know whether it is dBi or dBd).
If you are wondering what he used for boom material, it is standard
agricultural irrigation pipe.  You can see a photo of it on this months CQ
magazine.  Now if he can just figure out how to rotate it!  :)
73, Dick
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada