[TowerTalk] Phillystran vs Steel Guy Wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran vs Steel Guy Wires
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 10:58:41 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-07 03:05:34 EDT, 9A3A@spidernet.com.cy writes:

> I am about to start building up my antenna system. Please
>  any comments and hints about Phillystran and Steel Guy
>  Wires. My tower will be roof mounted Rohn 25, 50-60ft with
>  two Force 12 duobanders on top 2-40/4-20 and 4-15/4-10,
>  approximately 15 sq ft wind load. I've been told to use 4000
>  lb Phillystran. Please suggestions ASAP because I would like
>  to have it ready for the WW Phone.

     Unless you're going to have other antennas down the tower (not
recommended since you're a little over the 25G capacity at it's lowest wind
speed), I would just use the Phillystran on the top level. The 25G spec calls
for 3/16 EHS so the HTPG4000 would be the Phillystran equivalent. Be sure to
use the Phillystran Preformed grips.

     My biggest concern would be your mast. Use something better than water
pipe or aluminum material and it'll be more resistant to bending. More
information is available from the MARC Program. It's a Mast, Antenna and
Rotator Caluculator and is available from TOWER TECH for $9.95. It would be
helpful to know what wind speeds you could expect at your QTH.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC