[TowerTalk] Schedule 40 PVC

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Schedule 40 PVC
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:38:02 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               617/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:18:22 +0000 "Barry Kutner" <w2up@itw.com> writes:
>Fred - Please explain your pulley in a little more detail.

K1VR:  Tie a pulley to any old tree at the far end of your PVC run.  Now,
when you pull on your "pull rope" or "pull wire," and finish pulling your
new run of something through the PVC pipe, you are done.  No pulley and
no "double length" of pull wire?  Then you've got to pull a separate pull
wire through WITH the cable you've just pulled (as the previous pull wire
has just  been pulled the entire length of the pipe) so that you'll still
have a pull wire in the pipe when done.

The pulley gives you a better shot at a  one man pull.  Otherwise it
takes two.  My wife is a city girl (Teaneck, NJ) and wouldn't THINK of
getting down on her hands and knees to help me pull a cable through a
pipe for ham radio purposes.

>My experience with a thin rope in a 4 inch PVC is that the thinness
>of it cuts thru the pvc where it turns. I find a thicker rope better
>in this regard.
>
>Also, I've not had any problems with 90 bends (other than the thin
>rope cutting through). If you use cable pulling soap, available at
>your friendly electrical supply house, it makes it SO EASY to pull.

K1VR:  I guess you've never tried to pull three lengths of half inch
hardline through a 4" PVC pipe.  Been there, done that.  Now I always use
gentle bends.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly join with you in recommending cable
pulling soap or the yellow glop that electricians use for pulling.  I
should have mentioned it the first time.  Good point.