[TowerTalk] Questions->cable cutters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Questions->cable cutters
From: zephd@in-motion.net (Dave Zeph)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:29:42 -0000
We just replaced the 20+ year-old guys wires on both of my towers.  The first
time I cut the 5/16 wire with bolt cutters.  I survived after several days
recuperation, but I'm not sure about the DRC Bolt Cutters.

The second tower was guyed with ancient 1/2" guy wire which originally came in
18 large crates and was made to guy rhombic antenna poles.  20 years ago at
$100 is was a bargain, and some of it still was free of rust.

I had no desire to use the bolt cutters on that.  K9UWA brought down a chop saw
with a carbide blade,  K9UWA's employer buys the blades 3' in diameter and
discards them when they get gown to 12" diameter.  My xyl and two other ladies
cut the 12 110-170 foot guys into two nice neat piles of 4-6' scraps.  My only
regret is that I don't want to spend the time cutting out the HUGE insulators,
and feel a bit guilty about putting them into a landfill.

One thing that I've not seen mentioned here is another advantage of guy grips -
your xyl can easily help by making up guy wires!

Of course I once induced my wife to climb during a contest and loosen the bolts
on a failed side-mount Ham-M rotor, then tie a rope to the boom so I could
armstrong it.  She wanted me to watch, but 10M was wide open, so I did the next
best thing.  We had a Black Lab named Daisy at that time. Daisy was planted at
the base of the tower looking UP.  So I watched Daisy.  If she looked DOWN, we
were in big trouble!

73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX