[TowerTalk] AB-105/FRC

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AB-105/FRC
From: (T. A. Russell)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:37:35 -0600
Hinging a tower at the base is a VERY dangerous procedure
since the forces involved (base, support line) become quite
large (MANY times the weight of the tower).  The lower the
support height, the larger the multiplier.

I have heard of people breaking their home made Rohn 25
tilt bases trying to raise 50 ft of that fairly light weight tower.
I have seen ropes break doing a similar procedure on field day.
If someone had been hit by the snapping rope, I am convinced
they would have been cut in two.  NOT  a pleasant prospect.

Dismantling the tower, either piece by piece or section by
section (use a HEAVY  DUTY  GIN pole), if by far the safest
method.  Be sure to use a tempory set of lower guys before
removing the last set of the original guys from the tower.
You never know how strong the base really is.

de  Tom  N4KG