[TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors
From: (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:41:04 -0700
At 7:34 AM -0700 9/17/97, Ed Jensen wrote:
>Using trees as guy anchors has worked well for many (I never heard of a
>failure).  The recommended technique is to drill a hole straight through the
>trunk and put a long eye bolt through it.
>Here in El Paso, I have several palm trees in likely spots.  I wonder if
>anyone has experience in using palm trees as anchors.  Are their root
>systems extensive enough to serve?

The big stout date palms should be fine, but I would worry that the tall
coconut palms would sway so much in a strong wind they might be more
dangerous (pulling on the guy wires) to the tower than the wind, itself.

It would be interesting to see what others think.

73, Dick

Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)