[TowerTalk] 4130 chrome moly mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4130 chrome moly mast
From: twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com (Scott Bullock)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:59:53 -0400
Hi all again, I know this question has been asked a zillion times before,
but I never really paid that much attention to it, with my new tower, I'm
putting up a th-7 (10sq ft) and a a3ws w/30 mtr kit (5 sq ft), with a 10'
mast outside of the tower and 5' inside the tower with two thrust bearings.

Question is, is .18 wall good enuf for this?

The spec sheet I have shows 110,000 tensile strength and 78,000 psi yield
point for the .18 wall stuff that is annealed and cold drawn, versus .250
wall which is oil quenched and tempered.

The reason I ask this is the local supplier has the .18 wall for
$12.45/foot, versus another supplier that has the .250 wall for $25.60/foot.

I want to do this right the first time, this tower is being built to
withstand 90 mph winds (and stay up) :)

Thanks to all the gurus in advance,
Scott
KA1CLX