[TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] trees as guy anchors
From: (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 12:27:56 -0400
On 9/17/97 12:46 PM, Tom Osborne at wrote:

>Hi all.  I use a tree here for a guy anchor on one side of my tower.  I
>am using poly rope to guy it as it is not all that high.  One thing you
>have to be careful about is not to get the eye of the bolt too close to
>the tree.  I put mine up about 4 years ago and went out to change the
>rope last summer and found that the bark had grown over the top of the
>eyebolt and covered up the knot.

Poly rope? That stuff that degrades in sunlight? After 1 summer season,
it has probably lost the majority of its strength.

Nylon rope is much more UV resistant, but it will lose strength, too.
Dacron rope has more UV resistance than Nylon. Some plastic rope has
carbon particles embedded for better UV protection.

What manufacturer recommends the use of poly rope as a guy?

Rope may be OK for wire antenna supports, but not as a guy.

Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901