[TowerTalk] How install UHF connectors on direct bury coax?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How install UHF connectors on direct bury coax?
From: seay@Alaska.NET (Del Seay)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:50:41 -0700
alsopb@vance.net wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I've ordered some LMR400D direct bury coax.  My understanding is that
> his stuff has a flooding compound that oozes out when the cable is cut.
>
> How does one install UHF connectors amid all the mess of this sealing
> compound?
> What kind of solvent can be used to clean up the mess before soldering?
>
> de Brian/K3KO
> Vance Net Inc
> End Of Message
>Hi Brian. The stuff you refer to that leaks out is called
Icky-Pik in the biz. It displaces moisture and is the only sure method
of weatherproofing for buried cable.
Splicing underground puts some special requirements on the splice.
A sure method of making it a long term connection would be to
buy one of the 3M Splice Kits made for buried telephone splices.
It basically is a fibre/plastic housing that you put around the
spliced cable, and fill with an epoxy preparation. Once set up, you'll
never worry about the splice. They are spendy - about 30 bucks, but
that's cheaper than digging it up a few times.
Good Luck.
de KL7HF